Sunday, October 26, 2014

Space Zombies? Really?

bookcover of BLACK REDNECK vs SPACE ZOMBIES! by Steven Roy


For a little pre-Halloween fun, I decided to revisit an old favorite:  Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies!

Jefferson Balladeer has spent his life running from his redneck roots, feeling out of place as a black redneck in a world full of whites.  However, when he returns home to deal with his brother's estate, his little town is in danger from a horrific invasion - and only his redneck roots can save Jefferson and his town from the...Space Zombies!

When the author of Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies contacted me, offering a copy of his book in exchange for a review, I'll be honest - I hesitated.  I mean...it's called Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies.  How good could it be?  But I looked at the cover, which was darned good.  It reminded me of the old Pulp SF novels back in the day.  I downloaded the sample and saw that it seemed to be well written.  So I took the chance.

Well, I've now found myself telling everyone I can about this little book.  Steven Roy has an obvious love for horror and science fiction and presents us with a story worthy of those pulp fiction greats.  The book is funny, clever, gruesome and even has heart.  If I had to put it in movie terms, I'd say it's a little mix of Robert Rodriguez and The Blob.

One of the things I feared was that the book might be stereotypical when it came to the rednecks in the story.  I needn't have worried.  Roy presents us with a group of people who are down to earth, full of fire, and who love family - no matter the color of their skin.  Ssh...don't tell, but Chapter 44 actually brought tears to my eyes.

As for the Space Zombies - they work.  They are gruesome yet so much fun!  Roy didn't hold back on his aliens, but rather than feel old fashioned or hackneyed, they felt just right for the tale.

I'll be looking for books by Steven Roy in the future.  He brought back the fun to the genre and I'm so happy I had a chance to read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment